Singer Whitney Houston was found dead in a Beverly Hilton hotel room today, the AP and other news outlets are reporting.
The famed pop vocalist was pronounced dead at about 3:55 p.m., according to Beverly Hills Police Department spokesman Lt. Mark Rosen.
Rosen said emergency personnel responded to an emergency call from the hotel at 3:43 p.m. and began resuscitation efforts, but they were unable to revive her. It was not clear who made the emergency call.
Houston, whose famous battle with drug addiction overshadowed her remarkable singing career, was 48.
Houston recently was seen around Hollywood with Ray J.
The news comes on the eve of the 54th Grammy Awards, which will air locally at 8 p.m. Sunday on CBS.
Here are some of the headlines:
- Whitney Houston was to attend Clive Davis’ party tonight — LA Times
- Singer Whitney Houston dies at 48 — LA Times
- Singer Whitney Houston dies at 48 — CBS
- Friends, fans react to Whitney Houston’s death — CNN (blog)
- Whitney Houston, iconic pop star, dies at 48 — ABC News
- Whitney Houston’s Super Bowl national anthem a classic — Washington Post (blog)
- Whitney Houston, superstar of records, films, dies age 48 — AP
- Whitney Houston dead — MTV
- Whitney Houston through the years — Albany Times Union
- Hollywood reacts to Whitney Houston’s death — Access Hollywood
~City News Service contributed to this report