Most folks come up against a roadblock when it comes to balancing duties as a parent and holding down a job during holidays and summer breaks.
It can be a challenge for working parents to make sure that their kids are safe and secure while they are making a living.
While not ideal, some have taken to dropping their kids off at strip malls and good old regular malls as a way to keep kids occupied.
“When I was in middle school, my mom would drop me off at our local mall with a little money and come back and pick us up in the afternoon when she was done working,” Menifee resident Lisa Hemmel said. ” We didn’t get into trouble, we just wandered around and looked at clothes and met up with other friends.”
The Promenade Mall in Temecula has specific rules and guidelines in place to keep the “summer kid crunch” in control.
The rules seem reasonable, however, mall officials have explained sometimes groups of kids can cause a ruckus.
Rules for the Promenade Mall include:
- Juvenile groups of four (4) or more will be dispersed.
- Customers must keep moving in an orderly fashion through the premises and not block walkways or store entrances.
- Soft seating benches are to be used for shopping breaks and not to exceed 15 minutes.
- Food court seating is for paying customers of the food court.
- Loud and boisterous behavior will not be permitted.
- Obscene or offensive language will not be permitted.
- Spitting, sitting in the planters, leaning on railings or throwing objects over them will not be permitted.
- Running, inappropriate behavior, vandalism or any unacceptable conduct on the premises will be grounds for ejection.
- When conditions contribute to an overflow of juveniles, management reserves the right to disperse or eject individuals or groups. Proper clothing is required at all times, which includes shoes, shirts and no gang affiliated clothing or colors. Individuals of school age are expected to be in attendance at school during the hours their schools are in session or otherwise in transit to or from home.
- Soliciting or distribution of hand bills by a group, organization or individual is prohibited without the written permission of the General Manager.
- Obey all non-smoking signs within the shopping center.
- Absolutely no weapons of any kind are permitted on property.
Promenade Mall security reports that most kids obey the rules and there are rarely major incidents.
If kids are caught acting out and not abiding by the rules, they will be cited and either law enforcement or their parents will be called.
Stephanie D. Schulte is a writer/photographer with SWRNN. She can be reached at email@example.com.