Many people have expired prescription drugs that they no longer need or use which can be dangerous items to have lurking in medicine cabinets.
The Riverside Sheriff’s Department recently announced the upcoming nationwide program being held from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. on Saturday Sept. 29 at several sheriff’s stations.
The Department of Drug Enforcement is teaming up with the RivCo Sheriff’s Department to help people safely dispose of “potentially dangerous, expired, unused, and unwanted drugs,” sheriff’s officials said.
This initiative addresses a vital public safety and public health issue.
Most people are not aware that medicines that sit in home cabinets are highly susceptible to misuse and abuse, Lt. Jim Armstrong said in a recent report.
Accidental poisonings and overdoses are at an all time high due to these drugs, according to government reports.
Studies show that a majority of abused prescription drugs are obtained from family and friends, including from the home medicine cabinet.
Many people don’t know how to dispose of unwanted medicines which can create safety and health hazards.
Here is a list of sheriff’s stations where prescription drugs can be dropped off, no questions will be asked:
- Cabazon Sheriff’s Station 50290 Main Street Cabazon CA 92230 951-922-7100
- Hemet Sheriff’s Station 43950 Acacia Avenue Ste. B Hemet CA 92544 951-791-3400
- Jurupa Valley Sheriff’s Station 7477 Mission Boulevard Riverside CA 92509 951-955-2600
- Lake Elsinore Sheriff’s Station 333 Limited Avenue Lake Elsinore CA 92530 951-245-3300
- Moreno Valley Police Department 22850 Calle San Juan Del Los Lagos Moreno Valley CA 92552 951-486-6700
- Palm Desert Sheriff’s Station 73705 Gerald Ford Drive Palm Desert CA 92260 760-836-3215
- Perris 137 N. Perris Blvd. Suite A Perris CA 92570 9510210-1000
- Southwest Sheriff’s Station 30755 Auld Road Murrieta CA 92563 951-696-3000
- Thermal Sheriff’s Station 86625 Airport Blvd. Thermal, CA 92274 760-863-8990
More information can be found by going to: http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/drug_disposal/takeback/