A fire started by a plumber’s torch damaged attic space and a vacant suite in a medical office building today, according to the Palm Springs Fire Department.
The fire was reported at about 12:40 a.m. at Desert Medical Group, 275 N. El Cielo Road. A plumber’s torch that was used to solder a copper pipe sparked the blaze in a vacant suite, according to Battalion Chief Jason Loya.
The fire spread to the attic, but firefighters quickly doused it. An adjacent suite was damaged by water.
Total damages were estimated at $100,000. No one was hurt, Loya said.
He said the building’s sprinkler system went off quickly, alerting the fire department and saving 90 percent of the building.