As the temperatures drop and heaters, well, heat up, residents are reminded to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that is formed when carbon-based fuels, such as kerosene, gasoline, propane, natural gas, oil, charcoal or wood, are burned with inadequate amounts of oxygen.
According to So Cal Gas, carbon monoxide emmisions can be caused by improper installation, poor maintenance, appliance misuse or failure.
The results can be deadly.
Symptoms of CO poisoning can include nausea, headaches, paralysis and even death.
Consider the following tips excerpted from SoCalGas:
Signs that may indicate presence of carbon monoxide
- A yellow, large and unsteady gas appliance burner flame (with the exception of decorative gas log appliances).
- An unusual pungent odor when the appliance is operating. This may indicate the creation of aldehydes, a by-product of incomplete combustion.
- Unexplained nausea, drowsiness and flu-like symptoms.
What to do if you suspect carbon monoxide is present in your home
- If safe to do so, immediately turn off the suspected gas appliance.
- Evacuate the premises and call 911.
- Seek medical attention if anyone in the home experiences possible carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms.
- Contact SoCalGas at 800-427-2200 or a licensed, qualified professional immediately to have the appliance inspected.
- Don’t use the suspected gas appliance until it has been inspected, serviced and determined to be safe by SoCalGas or a licensed, qualified professional.
To learn more, visit. socalgas.com.