A Los Angeles judge today set a May 7 hearing on mediation efforts to settle a lawsuit brought by the singer Rihanna, who alleges that a Beverly Hills home she bought in 2009 for $6.9 million was replete with construction defects.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Yvette Palazuelos also scheduled a trial date of Feb. 24, 2014.
The lawsuit was filed in August 2011 against Prudential California Realty and several other defendants, including the home’s previous owners, Adriana and Heather Rudomin, and the company that helped the Rudomins renovate the home in 2007-08, Landmark Design Group LLC.
Palazuelos also tentatively issued $500 in monetary sanctions against the Rudomins and ordered them to appear in court with their attorneys on March 12 to explain why they were not present for today’s hearing.
Rihanna alleges the Rudomins did not disclose the home’s defects and is seeking unspecified damages.
The 24-year-old singer — whose full name is Robyn Rihanna Fenty — maintains the home had water leaks and was flooded in a January 2010 storm.
Her lawyer, Miles Cooley, said in court previously that Rihanna relied on the Rudomins’ representations throughout the transaction, to her detriment.
The attorneys present today told Palazuelos they expect a trial to last three weeks.