Ladies, Valentine’s Day is all about you. We know this — you know this.
Candy and greeting card makers have understood this for years. The message has been ingrained in our brains.
But, every once in awhile, it doesn’t hurt to focus on the man in your life. Why not switch things up a bit?
Society’s pressure at this time of year can be daunting, and even though all of us guys want to make your Valentine’s “the best ever” each year, it’s actually an impossible task.
Believe it or not, relieving him of his “duty” this Valentine’s will almost certainly guarantee a relaxed, grateful husband/boyfriend, one who will surely want to reciprocate your efforts.
Some more ideas: Eight great So Cal spots for romance on Valentine’s Day
That being said, here’s a short list of ways to show that your man is your knight in shining armor.
And save the flowers and traditional heart-shaped box of chocolates. Not necessary.
1. Text him in the morning saying “Not to worry, I’ve made Valentine’s plans for us.” Don’t tell him what they are. Mystery is key.
2. Drop off the kids at your Mom’s to secure a quiet evening at home for the two of you. Dinner, candles, maybe a movie that’s not a chick flick or romantic comedy.
3. Think about what he’d want to watch.
4. Book a couple’s massage at your favorite day spa. Sure, you love being spoiled by therapeutic hands, but so does your man.
5. No time for a spa day? No problem — offer a head, shoulder and foot massage when he comes home from a long day on his feet.
6. Too cold to hit the hot tub these days? Whatever – turn it on now. Two glasses, your choice of libation, and two robes are all that’s needed.
7. Bathing suits optional, of course.
8. A bike ride along the beach is fun. It’s good exercise and typically involves a stop for lunch or a cold beer. Everyone wins.
9. You know those golf lessons he’s been talking about taking for months? Surprise him by not only getting them for him, but joining him on the links.
10. Wear your cutest golf skirt.
11. We’re surrounded by gorgeous hiking trails — take advantage of them. Pack a small picnic lunch and stroll through the Santa Rosa Plateau together. Maybe bring a bottle of his favorite wine.
12. Turns out we love champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries too. No, seriously — we do.
13. I’ve never known a man to turn down a sporting event. Lakers, Clippers, Ducks, Kings — they all work. Ticketmaster awaits for your credit card info.
14. You’ve both wanted to experience a hot air balloon ride. Now’s the time to check this one off your list.
15. If you’re planning a night of romance, remember — your man will never say “no” to you wearing lingerie. Buy something special, fun and flattering this year — he’ll always remember it.
Chris Baptiste is a local writer and regular contributor to SWRNN.