The parents of one of the two teens stabbed in December at the South Bay Galleria today sued the mall, its parent company and its security provider on behalf of their son.
The negligence and premises liability suit was brought in Los Angeles Superior Court against Forest City Enterprises, landlords of the Redondo Beach shopping center, as well as Andrews International, Inc., which provides security.
Richard and Maria Williams are seeking unspecified damages on behalf of their 13-year-old son, who is the lone plaintiff in the case and is identified in the complaint as Ricky W.
The boy suffered stab wounds to his chest and heart as well as to one lung and arm, the suit states.
His parents have had more than $300,000 in medical bills, according to the their lawyer, Michael Alder.
The mall’s owners had an obligation to keep the boy safe and warn him of any potential dangers, the suit states.
A representative of Forest City Enterprises could not be immediately reached.
Last month, Redondo Beach police said they were hopeful a $25,000 reward would help them find the man who they believe stabbed the boy and a girl, who is also 13, in what appeared to them to be an unprovoked attack.
The attack occurred in front of the AMC Theatres on the mall’s third level about 7:25 p.m., Dec. 29, Redondo Beach police Lt. Joe Hoffman said.
The suspect remains at large. Police described him as tall, black, possibly in his 40s, with a medium build and possibly bald. He had a graying beard and a mustache and he may have been wearing prescription glasses, according to police.
He wore a knit cap, a green/brown “fatigue-type jacket” that was not camouflaged, blue jeans and a black T-shirt. police said.
Forest City Enterprises states on the Galleria’s website that customer safety and convenience is the company’s “number one priority” and that it provides patrons with 24-hour protection, the suit states.