A homeless woman whose tent was set ablaze by an unattended candle in downtown Los Angeles and a police officer who helped rescue her both suffered burns this morning, authorities said.
The fire at the corner of Towne Avenue and Sixth Street was reported around 2:15 a.m., said Sgt. Richard Tamez of the Los Angeles Police Department’s Central Division.
The officer and a sergeant were on patrol when they saw the burning tent.
As they pulled the woman to safety, an alkaline battery exploded, injuring the woman and the officer, Tamez said.
The woman suffered first-degree burns to her face and the officer had first-degrees burns to an arm, Tamez said.
Both the officer and the sergeant also suffered smoke inhalation, he said.
The woman was treated at the scene and released.
The officer and sergeant took themselves to a hospital, where they were treated and released, Tamez said.
The fire was caused by a candle left burning as the woman fell asleep, he said.