A 29-year-old parolee was charged today with the attempted murder of a Fullerton police officer, who remains hospitalized.
Marcos Allen Bush of Santa Ana also faces one count each of shooting from a vehicle, assault with a semiautomatic firearm on a police officer, possession of a firearm by a felon and street terrorism, and three counts of shooting at a residence — all felonies — stemming from the Sunday morning shooting that followed a traffic stop.
The complaint contains sentence-enhancing allegations of criminal street gang activity, shooting a gun causing great bodily injury and having a 2009 prior strike conviction for making criminal threats.
Bush was being held without bail, with arraignment scheduled for this afternoon.
Arraignment was also scheduled today for co-defendant Sjanee Roshawnta Duhart, 27, of Riverside, who is charged with being an accessory and faces a sentence-enhancing allegation of gang activity.
Duhart was allegedly with Bush at the time of the shooting and is accused of attempting to get rid of the vehicle, prosecutors said.
She was arrested within two hours of the shooting by California Highway Patrol officers near Market Street and the Moreno Valley (60) Freeway in Riverside while driving the Grand Prix, police said.
Bush faces up to 60 years to life in prison if he is convicted, while Duhart would face up to seven years behind bars.
Anaheim police documented Bush as a gang member, according to prosecutors, who said the defendant was paroled after doing time for assault with a deadly weapon with force likely to cause great bodily injury, criminal threats and domestic violence.
The new charges were filed less than two weeks after a jury acquitted Bush of attempted murder, Fullerton police Sgt. Jeff Stuart said.
Bush also was acquitted March 6 of carjacking and second-degree robbery in a case that involved a fistfight with a man accused of carrying on a relationship with the underage niece of Bush’s girlfriend, according to his trial attorney, Doug Myers.
The wounded officer, whose name has not been made public, is scheduled to mark his eighth anniversary on the force in April, Stuart said.
He is the recipient of a “Distinguished Medal for Bravery” for helping to save a suicidal suspect who led police on a “harrowing” pursuit from stabbing himself, Stuart said.
The officer’s survival is due to a bullet-resistant vest he was wearing during the traffic stop at Woods and Knepp Avenues about 12:15 a.m., Sunday March 17, Stuart said, noting that the bullet that hit the officer’s chest slammed into him with the force of a baseball bat.
Bush sustained two bullet wounds to an arm and one shot to a leg, according to authorities, who allege he was behind the wheel of the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix and leaned out the driver’s side window to shoot the officer.
Later that day, detectives developed information that led them to a home in the 3500 block of Cornelia in Anaheim.
Bush was arrested following a foot chase, during which he allegedly tossed aside a semiautomatic handgun that police recovered.
Ballistics tests are pending to determine if it was the gun used in the shooting of the officer, Stuart said.
Bush pleaded guilty on Oct. 2, 2008, in a domestic violence case and was sentenced to three years in prison. He was placed on three years of informal probation for a DUI conviction in 2011, according to court records.
Bush was charged with attempted murder, carjacking, robbery and street terrorism, as well as sentence- enhancing allegations of assault with a gun and inflicting great bodily harm, after a June 8, 2010, arrest, according to court records.
He was acquitted of all those charges earlier this month after a jury trial.